Social Security Disability SSD
Do you qualify for Social Security Disability (SSD)? Were you denied benefits? The attorneys and staff at Smith Godios Sorensen Inc. can help. If you can’t hold a job, we can help you prove it. If you qualify for benefits, we can help you get them!
If we don’t win, you don’t pay. Call 877-230-5500 or click here for a free consultation.
Smith Godios Sorensen Inc. is the new name of the firm Shifrin Newman Smith Inc. Our disability law firm began handling Social Security Disability benefits back in 1985. It’s what we do best.
Social Security Disability Information
- Application, Hearing and Review
- Applying for Benefits
- Can My Family Get Benefits?
- Early Retirement and Disability
- Expedited Hearings
- FAQ: SSD
- Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits (DIB)
- Social Security Over Age 50
- SSDI Benefits for Disabled Adult Children
- The Appeals Process
- Widows’ and Widowers’ Benefits
Eligibility Requirements for Social Security Disability
Social Security Disability is not “free money.” To be eligible for it, you need to have worked for a certain amount of time. The program is funded by taxes taken from your past wages. By applying for this benefit, you are asking the government to make good on insurance premiums you’ve faithfully paid.
If you don’t have a substantial work history, you need to apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) instead. Apart from work requirements, both SSI and Social Security Disability have the same rules for eligibility. Ask yourself:
- Do you make less than $1,220 (before taxes) per month? If you do, go to question two.
- Do you have a severe medical condition that affects your ability to work? If you do, go to question three.
- Does your problem meet or equal one of the impairments on the government’s listing of impairments? (To check the listing, click here for adults and click here for children) If you do, you are legally disabled. If you don’t, go to step four.
- Can you do any of the jobs you’ve held in the last 15 years? If you can, you are not disabled. If you can’t, go to step five.
- Can you do any other job? With some exceptions: If you can, you are not disabled; If you can’t, you are disabled.
However, the rules at this step are much more relaxed for those over age 50.
With Smith Godios Sorensen Inc., you don’t pay a fee unless we are able to get you benefits. You don’t stand to lose anything by calling us. We are here to help. For a free consultation at our offices in Cleveland or Akron, Ohio, call 877-230-5500 or contact us online.